What Causes A Need For A Bone Graft?
Bone grafts are done in order to stabilize the jaw. There are a multitude of reasons why your doctor may recommend a bone graft; here are just a few:
- To help ensure a strong placement for a dental implant. If there is not enough bone to successfully do an implant, a dentist may recommend a bone graft to ensure integrity.
- If your dentist had to remove a tooth from your mouth,they may decide you need a bone graft to ensure that you have a sufficient amount of bone left. This helps the dentist to be sure you won’t have any jaw deformities too. This will also allow the dentist to do an implant later on, if necessary
- Bone grafts are also placed to stabilize the tooth when bone is lost during periodontal disease
- If you have had your jaw fractured, using a bone graft can help ensure that the bone will heal properly.
Types of Bone Graft
There are a few different types of bone graft available for use. The type that is used will be determined by your needs as the patient, the preference of your doctor, and your overall oral health. Here’s a description of the different types of bone grafts that are offered in most dental offices:
- Autograft: Autograft is bone that is harvested from another portion of the patient’s body. This type of graft has a very small chance of rejecting, but for those who have bone conditions or diseases, it may not be a viable option.
- Xenograft: Xenograft is bone that is taken from an animal. Cow bone is the most common type used for xenograft.
- Synthetic: Synthetic bone is man-made, which can be extremely beneficial. It is easily accessible, and faces little risk for rejection. It poses no risk of disease transmission, as it is not taken from another living being.
- Allograft: Allograft is bone taken from a cadaver. It has a high success rate as it is human bone, which makes the fusing process much easier.
Taking care of your oral health is just as important as taking care of your physical health; let us help you on your oral health journey. If you’re looking for a dentist who excels in bone grafting in San Jose, Willow Glen Dental Specialists are here to help you.
Call our office today at 408-478-9081 to schedule an appointment.